The April 2013 mission team leaves on April 20th and will return home May 2nd. Please be in prayer for all 10 team members.
The Calvary Orphan Outreach Ministry (through World Orphans) established a partnership with the Faith Community Church in Jinja, Uganda. In April 2011, a 4 member team traveled to Jinja to cast a vision for this new relationship. The team was hosted by Pastor Sam Magumba and his wife Prossy along with the church and orphan home staff.
In January 2012, a six-member team visited Pastor Sam and his church to participate in several service projects. The team partnered with Pastor Sam's church and staff to host an HIV/AIDS Awareness Seminar, a two-day medical triage clinic, to build a chicken coop, to plow and cultivate a farm plot, hold a three-day vacation bible school, and train the Children's Church staff on a new Sunday School curriculum.
In December 2012, another ministry team visited Uganda to: break ground for the chicken farming project; work on the plumbing/drainage around the orphan home; deliver Christmas clothes/shoes to the orphans; establish sewing and tailoring training for the orphans; spend time with the children; and to scout out property for a future Christian school in Jinja.
The team also met to revisit the strategic plans for our partnership and the updated information listed below was generated from these strategic planning sessions. Please feel free to look over the goals for our working relationship as well as check out the pictures from our visit.
STRATEGIC GOALS FOR CHURCH PARTNERSHIP
PROJECT COMPLETED April 2013
Self-Sustaining Business Plan -
Farm Plot & Chicken Production Business ($14,300 total)
- Construct 2 Large chicken Coops for starting Business Enterprise
- Purchase and transport 2,000 chickens for Chicken Production Business
- Purchase feed, vaccinations, waterers, and other infrastructure items needs to begin chicken production business
- Begin vocational training for staff and orphans
- Hire 2 full-time caretakers for the business
Growth in Church Membership/ General Community Services
- More Medical Missions
- Youth Program on AIDS Awareness (ages 10-14 and 15 years – older)
- Possible creation of a Christian primary school to combat Muslim influences
- Possibility of opening up a Christian Day care/preschool along side the above Christian primary school
Finish Building Construction
- Shops in front of church
- Children’s Church section of the church
- Sanctuary floor and wall refinishing
- Separation of girls and boys
- General maintenance of the orphan home
Church Ministry Needs:
- Music Ministry (need new instruments/new songs/more equipment)
- Youth Program
- Counseling (possible program on marriage and fidelity)
Pictures from the December 2012 mission trip
Pictures from Our Jan. 2012 Mission Trip
Our team Doug Bouldin, Jen Bouldin, Melissa Throgmorton, John Throgmorton, John Silverberg, and Kim Silverberg.
John, Baby Stuart, and Robert (the house father for the orphan home).
Vickie (the house mother) and Baby Stuart. Vickie gave birth to a daughter on the day we left!
Doug and Pastor Sam.
Ivan, Melissa, John, and Emma down at the banks of the Nile River.
Saul, Joseph, Emma, and Robert wearing our ministry t-shirts!
Abel, Kim, Babra, Prossy, Joan, and Martha.
John T., Doug, Nathan (our driver), John S., and Pastor Sam at dinner at the Sunset Resort.
Jen finds a new friend during the medical clinic. Melissa tries on her new hat.
Jen and Prossy shopping in Jinja. Doug giving medicines to Robert's 102 year old Grandfather.
PICTURES FROM THE APRIL 2011 Mission Trip
The children making beautiful music.
Melissa and Kim with Asina and Lydia, church staff members who help care for the children.
Joseph, Justine, Prossy, Pastor Sam, Florence, and Robert in front of the children's home.
Keith and Pastor Sam
The working group during another one of our strategic planning meetings. John, Kim, Melissa, John Throgmorton, Pastor Sam and his wife Prossy.
A group photo of church staff and our team after Sunday Services.